Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Roadie

A friend sent me an email today with several beautiful/interesting photos of various roads (thank goodness for friends and email or I would have no material at all for this blog).  As I was looking through the photos, they brought to mind a couple of my favorite poems (and by "favorite", I mean the few that I actually know).  I found it interesting that something as pedestrian (pun intended) as a road can evoke such strong emotions (and I'm not talking about road rage).

So sit back, relax, tune out the world, put on your safety belt, and enjoy a little virtual drive on the scenic byways today.

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost





Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could 
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 



Then took the other, as just as fair, 
And having perhaps the better claim, 
Because it was grassy and wanted wear; 
Though as for that the passing there 
Had worn them really about the same, 


And both that morning equally lay 
In leaves no step had trodden black. 
Oh, I kept the first for another day! 
Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 
I doubted if I should ever come back. 



I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- 
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference




Nobody knows it but me
by Patrick O'Leary


There's a place that I travel
When I want to roam
And nobody knows it but me.


The roads don't go there
And the signs stay home
And nobody knows it but me.


It's far far away
And way way afar
It's over the moon and the sea


And wherever you're going
that's wherever you are
And nobody knows it but me.




You might be surprised that the latter of these two poems doesn't come from some golden age/era of poetry.  It was written for a 2002 Chevy Tahoe TV ad.  Now, who said TV wasn't enlightening?!?!

Flint

1 comment:

  1. amazing that something so poetic, came from, and was for, a TV commercial.

    ReplyDelete