Monday, August 9, 2010

I think that I shall never see, a billboard lovely as a tree...

At significant risk to my longstanding membership in the non-renaissance man club, today's post includes yet another reference to a poem.  However, at least in this case it is humorous (not some flowery crap about roads or the like).  The entirety of the poem is as follows:

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all.  

This verse (pronounced "verse") is a product of super-wit Ogden Nash.  Perhaps one of the reasons I really like this poem is that it is a humorous take-off of the serious poem "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer.  Who can't resist a guy that is able to make a name for himself by comically standing on the dignified shoulders of others (especially with a name like Ogden)?  Maybe it will work for a guy with the name of Flint too.

Here are some other gems (and not just poems) from Ogden Nash:

Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else.


Beneath this slab

John Brown is stowed.

He watched the ads

And not the road.


I do not like to get the news, because there has never been an era when so many things were going so right for so many of the wrong persons.

A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.

The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat.

Shake and shake the catsup bottle. None'll come and then a lot'll.

Anyway (and finally), the stimulus for today's post is a billboard that I saw in Omaha over the weekend.  It read:

Your wife is hot!  
Better call us to fix your AC.

I'd rate that about an 8 on my clever billboard scale.

Flint

No comments:

Post a Comment