Monday, July 26, 2010

By the wigglin' millipede




Being new to this whole hipster, blogging scene, I'm not sure that it is "apropos" (French for "appropriate") to accept requests for specific blog posts.  However, I guess I'll just throw caution to the wind and give it a try. The blog police can correct me if it ends up being a "false step" (English for "faux pas").


Shortly after informing my friend Todd F. of my new blog, he asked that I inform the world (which is, in reality, just the three of you that follow this blog) of my inability to discern song lyrics.


Those of you who are old enough to remember the TV sitcom "All in the Family" may recall the show's intro where two of the main characters (Archie and Edith) sat at the piano and sang the show's theme song ("Those Were The Days"). From the time that I started watching the show in the 70's, I could never figure out the words in the first line of the song. My best guess was "By the wigglin' millipede".


It's difficult to imagine/remember life prior to Al Gore inventing the internet, but back then, there was really no way of finding answers to nagging questions/mysteries like this. So my ignorance of the song's lyrics went unchecked for many years.


At some point after Al graciously bestowed the internet upon us, I finally was able to look up the lyrics to "Those Were The Days":


     Boy, the way Glenn Miller played
     Songs that made the Hit Parade
     Guys like us, we had it made
     Those were the days


Now, you at least have to admit that my guess at the first line makes sense phonetically.

Here are some other lyric misinterpretations I've made in the past (I'm sure my loving family and friends will leave comments of others I've neglected to list):

- "Take a little bit off" vs. "Take a little rhythm" (from "Take a Little Rhythm" by Ali Thompson)

- "I'm not talking 'bout meridian" vs. "I'm not talking about movin' in" (from "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dad and John Ford Coley)

- "There's a warm wind blowing the stars around" vs. "There's a warm wind blowing; the stars are out" (also from "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight")

- "Well, they sent you a tie clasp" vs. "Well, they said you was high class" (from "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley)

- "There's a bathroom on the right" vs. "There's a bad moon on the rise" (from "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival)

By the way, let me just quickly drop a short side note to all you youngins out there...the proper pronunciation of the abbreviations "v." and "vs." is NOT \ˈvərs\.  The abbreviations are for the word "versus" which is pronounced \ˈvər-səs, -səz\.  Go and sin no more!


There...are you happy now Todd?


Flint

3 comments:

  1. i think you passed this ability (inability) onto us.
    you might remember..

    "I'm livin' right next door to an eggshell, and I'm gonna make that eggshell mine."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh...yes, I do remember that one! I also remember another one from Haley that doesn't quite fit into this category, but is close...the hugely successful musical writing team of Rodgers and Frankenstein [sic].

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that we have the internet....can you please interpret Michael Jackson's "Going to be starting something"...."mama say , mama saw ...mama something."???

    ReplyDelete